The Boy family, (three brothers — Carl, James, and Thomas) established the company in 1947 in Durham, North Carolina. The start came from a family-owned service station that grew into an aviation corporation.
In 1960 the company was reincorporated in Florida and moved to Ft. Lauderdale’s International Airport where they specialized in leasing and operating large transport aircraft. The corporation operated DC3, 4, 6, and 7s, Super Constellations, and Convair aircraft, flying oil drilling equipment throughout South and Central America. The company also flew fresh produce & refrigerated goods to islands throughout the Caribbean for a major grocery store chain. Later the group flew over 20 aircraft throughout the US distributing the Wall Street Journal.
In the early 1970s, the organization purchased its first Learjet and became one of the first flight schools for fighter pilots coming out of the Vietnam War. These officers were transitioning to become corporate pilots for the growing executive & private jet aviation industry. Soon after, National began executive and private jet charter flights throughout North, South, Central America, and the Caribbean.
In 1976 the organization expanded into Air Ambulance medevacs throughout the region flying for Children’s Hospitals and major Cruise Lines, becoming a leader in that industry. National Jets continued to thrive, added the finest in long-range Learjets to the charter fleet, and is one of the most well-known and respected Learjet operators in the U.S. today.